Bookmark WildlifePlanet.Net by pressing ctrl+D buttons
BY NIGEL WISKAR
The hapless 4-month old golden Labrador left only the spinning foil ornament on the floor as a clue to the ornamental garden pole that was stuck inside his stomach.
The pooch needed emergency surgery to retrieve the pole, but amazingly suffered no lasting damage, much to vet Ben Garland’s surprise.
Ben, who carried out the procedure at Framlingham Vets in Suffolk said: “I’ve removed a lot of things from dogs’ stomachs, but nothing quite as spectacular as this.
“The puppy had tried to eat the entire metal stick, then when it became lodged in his stomach and esophagus, he bit the end off, leaving it just showing in his throat behind his windpipe.
“He didn’t seem in any pain when he was brought in. Just a bit dribble, and he looked a little embarrassed.
“Thankfully it didn’t cause any other damage and he now seems to be well on the road to recovery.”
Ben revealed the puppy’s owners, who do not wish to be named, found the dog looking shifty in his kennel at their Suffolk home.
With only the end of the windmill to be seen and an obvious lump in the pup’s throat, they took a lucky guess as to what had happened and immediately rushed to get help.
Ben and his team examined the dog before carrying out an X-ray which clearly shows the pole skewered through his stomach.
The veterinary surgeon decided to remove it by making an incision in the dog’s esophagus so it could be pulled out during a two-and-half-hour procedure last week.
Luckily it had not damaged any organs and the pup was able to return home two days later.
His mischief mirrored that of Marley - the playful pup named the World’s Worst Dog in the 2005 New York Times bestselling autobiographical book ‘Marley and Me’.
Ben added: “For these guys this was just an unfortunate incident.
“The advice we would always give is not to leave dogs with anything they could chew and swallow.
“If a dog does swallow anything, owners should get in touch with their vets straight away.”